How to Adopt
When you adopt from the Animal Defense League of Texas, you do not save just one life; you save two! How do you ask? You would be saving the pet that you’ve decided to adopt, and that would open up a kennel for us to save another unwanted, neglected, abused or abandoned pet in San Antonio. By adopting from ADL, you are helping solve the problem.
Things to know when looking to adopt from ADL:
- View our adoptable pets by clicking here https://adltexas.org/pets/
- We ask that everyone signs in at the adoption center before viewing the pets that are available for adoption. There is some valuable information that we’d love to share with you.
- If you are currently renting, please make sure you have checked your deposit requirement as well as breed and size restrictions outlined by your property owner.
- If you are considering adopting a puppy or kitten and have existing animals at home, please bring proof of vaccinations.
- Please consider a meet and greet with your owned animals before adopting. When bringing a pet for a meet and greet, please bring proof of vaccinations. Please make sure you bring your pet on a leash.
- We stop accepting adoption applications at 6:30 pm. We stop at that time so that it allows us enough time to complete the adoption by 7 pm.
- Our adoption process takes at least 30 minutes, depending on the pet’s medical background and additional conversations that may be necessary to ensure all parties are comfortable with the pet going home. During this time, the legal adopter’s full attention is necessary. Adopting with the whole family is recommended so everyone is on the same page about the new household pet. However, to avoid distractions from the important conversations about your new pet, be prepared to have a second adult to watch over any current household pet or younger kids that are too excited about their new furry pal to sit through the process!
- If you have any questions or if you’d like to meet a pet, ask one of our kennel staff members for assistance.
- We have a Seniors for Seniors program! The Seniors for Seniors program places senior cats and dogs (over 6 years of age) with senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older, allowing participants to discover the joys of having a cat or dog in their lives.
- Dogs: $60.00
- Puppies under 6-months: $200.00
- Cats: $30.00
- Kittens under 6-months: $100.00
- Pay-It-Forward Pets: $175.00
- Pay-It-Forward Puppies: $300.00
Check out our events page for upcoming adoption specials
THE ADOPTION FEE INCLUDES:
Spay/neuter surgery, age appropriate vaccinations, microchip, internal and external parasite treatment, a starter bag of Heritage Ranch by H-E-B pet food and more! Fees may be different during adoption specials. Call 210-655-1481 for details or view our Calendar of Events for current specials!
© 2022 - Animal Defense League of Texas. All rights reserved.