Foster Care Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in the Animal Defense League’s Foster Care Program. There are countless numbers of orphaned and abandoned animals in our city who are either too young or injured and are in need of special care before being placed for adoption. In most cases, our animals stay in the Foster Care Program for 2-4 weeks. During this time, we will provide the necessary items to care for the animal, including food, medication, bedding, crates, etc. Once the animal is ready for adoption, you’ll bring them back to the Animal Defense League so that they can be placed up for adoption.
We are continually seeking qualified* Foster Parents. If you are interested in joining us, please complete the Foster Care Application, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like more information about the Animal Defense League’s Foster Care Program, please call the Foster Office at (210) 655-1481, ext 123.
Please visit the ADL Foster Facebook Page to view many of ADL’s pets in need of Foster Parents.
The Animal Defense League Foster Care Program is only for adoption eligible animals.
*ADL Foster Parents must be 21 years of age or older.
Animal Rescue Friends (ARF) Destination Home
The Animal Defense League is partnering with Alamo Rescue Friends (ARF), to transfer Animal Defense League residents into ARF’s transport program.
We are needing Special Foster Volunteers to break ground with this new program. There are special guidelines to consider:
- No long-term commitment – 4 weeks maximum
- I would need to take the dog to all appointments:
- Initial and final vet check (Evenings in Stone Oak area)
- Take the dog to the departure location on the day of transport
- I understand that the dog cannot be exposed to any unvaccinated dogs due to quarantine requirements
- I understand the dogs is only temporarily in my care and is not available for adoption by me, family, or friends.
If you are interested and would like to find out more info, please contact Renee, ADL’s Transfer Coordinator, Email email@example.com or call 210-655-1481 ext 140
What animals are candidates for Foster Care?
- Puppies: Newborn to 6 weeks of age.
- Kittens: Newborn to 8 weeks of age.
- Pregnant or Nursing Dogs and Cats.
- Animals needing special care/treatment.
- Older animals who have difficulty adapting to shelter life.
- Older animals who have been at the shelter for a while, and who need help with socialization.
Other Ways to Help
If you feel you cannot commit to being a foster parent at this time, but you would like to support our program, we are always in need of the following items and supplies:
- Zip Lock Bags (gallon size): High Need
- Animal Carriers (plastic): High Need
- Baby Wipes (unscented): High Need
- Pee Pads
- Puppy Play Pens
- Baby Gates
- Esibilac or KMR Formula
- Animal baby bottles
- Electric heating pads
- Chicken/beef baby food
- Blankets and towels
- Dry puppy/kitten chow
- Shallow food dishes
To foster an animal, you can sign up at our Adoption Center or print out the our Foster Care Application and fax it to the attention of Foster Coordinator at (210) 599-4015. If you have any questions, leave a message for the Foster Office at (210) 655-1481, ext 123, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.