Though the Animal Defense League of Texas (ADL) was incorporated on June 19, 1934, the initiative to save animals in need had already been in action by a group called Child Protective and Humane Society. An article in the San Antonio Express-News, printed on June 21, 1934, stated that the Animal Defense League of Texas split in 1923 to be dedicated to the prevention of cruelty to animals.”
ADL began with just a few makeshift chicken-wire cages in response to a need to shelter stray and injured dogs and cats in the San Antonio area. Along with providing basic shelter and care, the emphasis has always been placed on adopting animals to homes where they will receive loving care and attention for the rest of their lives.
In 1961, ADL moved to its present location in the easily accessible northeast part of San Antonio. Its campus encompasses more than 12 acres and includes a two-acre pet park. On the property is an Adoption Center with a small retail store and a separate 5,000 square-foot Clinic which houses our veterinary hospital that provides onsite spay/neuter surgery, surgery for injured and ill animals, and ongoing medical care for all ADL resident animals.
In 2004, a new kennel was built to house dogs. In 2007, two kennels built in 1963 were raised to open space for more play areas. More to come to this page.