Here’s how the adoption process works at the Animal Defense League:
- Sign in at our Adoption Office.
- Visit our kennels and cattery to meet our animals.
- Find the animal that you might feel is the right match for you. An Animal Care Specialist will assist you with getting the animal out of the kennel. You should plan at least 20 minutes with the pet you are interested in.
- If you already have a dog, you must bring her on a leash with you to see how she gets along with your potential new family member. We have found it to be far less stressful for animals to meet on neutral territory. For safety reasons, please ensure that your dog is wearing her current rabies tag.
- Ask the Animal Care Specialist to fill out the holding slip.
- Take the holding slip to the Adoption Center.
- Complete an application.
- Speak one-on-one with an ADL Adoption Counselor.
- Complete the paperwork.
- Take your new family member home!
- All of the companion animals adopted from ADL are spayed/neutered, current on their vaccinations and microchipped (for identification, if lost). Dogs are also current on heartworm medication.
- Puppies under 4 months of age may be adopted for a fee of $100.
- Dogs 4 months of age or older, weighing under 30 pounds, may be adopted for a fee of $75.
- Dogs 4 months of age or older, weighing 30 pounds or more, may be adopted for a fee of $60.
- Purebred dogs may be adopted for a fee of $125.
- Kittens under 4 months of age may be adopted for a fee of $40.
- Cats 4 months of age or older may be adopted for a fee of $25.
- Pet insurance for one month is provided by ADL free of charge.
Applying is easy! Just print out the following Adoption Application, fill it out and fax it to the Adoption Office at (210) 655-4498. You may also bring it in to the office with you. Please note that turning in an application requires an interview with an Adoption Counselor and is not a guaranteed approval.